From In to Out: Understanding Birth
Traveling to the “land of birth” is like parachuting into an unknown universe. It can be magical and the adventure of a lifetime. It can also be overwhelming and strange. Often, it is all of these, and so much more.
Understanding how a baby goes from “in” to “out” during the process of birth is an important part of supporting your families wellbeing. In class we will combine lecture, discussion and experiential exercises help you prepare for the mental and emotional realities of birth. Learn about the stages of labor, breath support and the internal and external structures impacting your birth: the forces of nature, your birth partner and team, your practitioner, and your location of birth.
Below you will find a sample class meditation audio recording as well as a video about Choices In Birth that we encourage families to watch as early in pregnancy as possible. (This topic is explored in more depth in the Informed Choices workshop.
Can’t thank you enough for your classes on labor/delivery. I was able to deliver him lying down on my side. Your pushing info along laboring techniques all came in very handy. [Our doctor] said we had done our homework!
- The Awareness Scan (birth meditation)
- Tools to Prepare for Birth (exercise)
- The Power of LOVE + SAFETY (exercise)
- Supporting the hormones of Labor
- Understanding the role of birth support
- Breathing for Birth
- Understanding Breath as a Labor Tool
- Belly Breathing (exercise)
- The Transforming Body
- The Changing Structures of Birth
- The Labor Process
- Pre-labor and Early Labor
- Active Labor
- Pushing + Birth
- Delivery of the Placenta
- Recognizing Preterm Labor
- When to call your Practitioner/Go to the Hospital
- The Mental + Emotional Journey of Birth (exercise)